Why is management the problem? Because the scenario in which companies operate is radically different from even 20 years ago. Digital technology and the complexity of a global environment impact every business in every sector. Human expectations and wants have evolved so that simple, top-down interactions are insufficient. And yet management style, methods and techniques lag behind these changes. The result is that companies are fragmented into silos and unable to compete with the speed of flow essential for competitiveness in today’s markets.
Inspired by the teachings of W. Edwards Deming and the Theory of Constraints, we developed the Decalogue management method with the goal of transforming the prevailing management style into one of whole system optimization. The Decalogue method embeds the rigour of systems science so that companies can radically improve financial results through operations and achieve sustainable growth. It enables this through an organizational design we call the Network of Projects.
For over two decades, the Decalogue has helped businesses evolve by ensuring they operate cohesively as a value chain, internally and externally, through increased sales, better sourcing, faster production, lower inventory, more timely product development, better customer focus and a whole-system based performance measurement.
The Decalogue equips companies with the method and tools to operate with superior Quality, greater involvement of people and accelerated flow of information, products and services and cash generation. This transformation is enabled and enhanced by applying systemic thinking to people’s interactions to overcome any obstacles and artificial limitations in a win-win way.
Embracing the Decalogue method introduces a virtuous cycle of improvement and companies gain the ability to:
- identify a unique leverage point (constraint) and use it as a competitive advantage
- synchronize all activities through the strategically chosen constraint to ensure accurate and swift delivery of services and products
- develop and sell integrated, systemic solutions for the market that competitors cannot conceive or copy. This enables a company to provide value and partner with its customers well beyond a traditional supplier role
- deliver Quality products and services through a deep understanding of variation and how to manage it consistently
- design and deliver projects reliably through a network of interdependent resources
- adopt technologies in a way that consistently enhances performance
- measure performance and profitability using throughput-based measurements
These abilities are continuously supported and reinforced by:
- an organizational structure that is designed to accelerate speed of flow
- an organizational culture based on win-win and healthy interdependencies that increases people’s involvement
- management skills suitable for a forward-thinking, evolved and fast-moving company that can retain talent
You can learn more about the ten macro steps in the Decalogue method that integrate systems science and systemic thinking into the transformation process here:https://www.intelligentmanagement.ws/learningcentre/what-is-a-systemic-organization/decalogue-methodology/
All of these steps are supported through the Thinking Processes from the Theory of Constraints to enhance and sustain the change process.
If you would like to learn more about the Decalogue methodology, please click to see the several international publications and books we have produced over the years.
You can watch Dr. Domenico Lepore presenting a new way of managing organizations for the Digital Age here: https://vimeo.com/297270186
Intelligent Management works with decision makers with the authority and responsibility to make meaningful change. We have helped dozens of organizations to adopt a systemic approach to manage complexity and radically improve performance and growth for 25 years through our Decalogue management methodology. The Network of Projects organization design we developed is supported by our Ess3ntial software for multi-project finite scheduling based on the Critical Chain algorithm.
See our latest books Moving the Chains: An Operational Solution for Embracing Complexity in the Digital Age by our Founder Dr. Domenico Lepore, The Human Constraint – a digital business novel that has sold in 43 countries so far by Dr. Angela Montgomery and ‘Quality, Involvement, Flow: The Systemic Organization’ from CRC Press, New York by Dr. Domenico Lepore, Dr. .Angela Montgomery and Dr. Giovanni Siepe.