Our world has changed. Especially since the global financial crisis. Our reality is complex, that means it’s dense with interconnections and interdependencies that we cannot ignore. We can’t just think about what goes on inside our organizations (complicated enough) but how they interact with and impact stakeholders and entire supply chains. It’s hardly surprising so many managers feel they are losing their grip. Old mindsets and methods no longer apply. So what can we do? Transform.
It’s Never Too Late
It’s never too late to start on the path of transformation. Transform to what? To the kind of management thinking and method that can give leaders and managers the control they feel they are losing. This is not the top down, command and control mentality that might have worked in the previous century. Today we need a different mindset and method, and the good news is there is a structured and orderly way to make it operational.
There are basic tenets for this transformation to take place. We’re taking this opportunity to share our most fundamental beliefs at Intelligent Management about the direction for organizations and their leaders in today’s complex reality. We do so as the result of almost two decades developing, refining and implementing the Decalogue approach.
- organizations are inherently systems and leaders need to understand this
- inadequate organizational models undermine performance and sustainability
- traditional hierarchy interferes with performance and satisfaction
- every system has a constraint that can be leveraged to streamline management actions and improve performance
- companies are part of a bigger picture – they need to need to take into account all stakeholders, including their community
Leaders and Managers
- leaders need a theory and a method
- managers need new skills that are systemically oriented
- techniques are not enough, we need knowledge and a method
- gender is never an issue in leadership but competence is
Creating the Change
- reality is so complex today that leaders need to acquire adequate methods and tools to be sustainable
- change is not only possible but highly feasible if you embrace a method
The path to transformation exists. It is not for the faint-hearted as it requires determination and effort. However, the rewards are there for those with the courage to embrace necessary change rather than clinging on to outmoded mindsets and practices. To get started, all it requires is to take the first step. The choice is up to us.
Sign up to our blog here and shift your thinking towards broader, systemic possibilities for yourself and your organization. Intelligent Management provides education and training on systemic management, W. Edwards Deming’s management philosophy and the Theory of Constraints (Decalogue methodology) in North America and Europe.
About the Blog Author and Editor
Angela Montgomery Ph.D. is Partner and Co-founder of Intelligent Management and author of the business novel+ website The Human Constraint that has sold in over 20 countries. She is co-author with Dr. Domenico Lepore, founder, and Dr. Giovanni Siepe of ‘Quality, Involvement, Flow: The Systemic Organization’ from CRC Press, New York.